Offsite Standards news from BSI
International Standards Organisation (ISO) developing Standards for Prefabricated buildings for adoption in the UK
The International Standards Committee ISO TC/59 continues to drive forward standards for the offsite industry. ISO has just approved a new sub-committee to develop Standards for prefabricated buildings. The new Standards will be adopted in the UK as BS ISO standards.
The proposal has come from the Chinese National Standards body and been accepted following a vote with 17 countries in favour including USA, Germany, France, Italy and Netherlands. The stated objective is to address the different rates of development in prefabricated building construction worldwide and promote the rapid development of standardized prefabricated buildings around the world by establishing common standards of quality, safety, technical and performance indicators, product standards, sizing of elements and the mechanical processes.
A new ISO sub-committee will therefore develop standards for harmonising the quality of design, materials, processing components and parts, and construction.
ISO TC/59 will work on Standards including:
- general terminology
- basic principles of design, including integrated design, industrial production and integrated decoration
- general requirements for geometric and performance of prefabricated building components and connectors
- general requirements for construction and installation of prefabricated buildings, including hoisting technology and construction process.
Three working groups are envisaged:
- WG1 – Design of prefabricated building
- WG2 – Production of prefabricated buildings
- WG3 – Construction of prefabricated buildings
BSI will be seeking technical experts to join these groups, provide technical input, and represent UK industry at an International level.
Other Offsite Standards news:
- BS 5606 Guide to accuracy and tolerance in design and construction to include clauses on offsite construction. Due out for public consultation end May 2021
- PAS 2035/2030 Retrofitting dwellings for Energy efficiency and installer specification amendment will include a new annex on offsite envelope systems. Public consultation due Jun 2021
- BSI Flex 8670 V3.0 Built Environment – Core criteria for building safety in competence frameworks – Code of practice supporting the government’s Building Safety review. Published end April 2021 (Free download)
If you are interested in participating in Standards development at a national or international level go to https://www.bsigroup.com/en-GB/about-bsi/uk-national-standards-body/how-to-get-involved-with-standards/ to find out more.
Participation in BSI Standards development is carried out on a voluntary basis.
Clare Price is Sector Lead – Built Environment at BSI